Tuesday, May 09, 2006

B-School or J-School??

And by J-School here, I mean Jargon School! Thats because sometimes I wonder if we are learning something new or actually learning the same old common sensical things with a fancy name and getting trained to use it in our everyday lives. And just to prove my point, here are the top 7 interesting jargons (listed by order of priority as per my limited understanding) I have learnt over the past 3 weeks ...
  1. Perspective on this ...... Perspective on that! (Apparently you need to have a perspective on every single thing thats happening in the world be it Emerging markets or Fish Markets!)
  2. Value Proposition of .... (starting with you to everything else)
  3. 2 by 2 matrix (to represent every goddamn thing you can think of)
  4. Intrinsic Brand Building (and there's an Extrinsic Brand Building too)
  5. Marginal whatever you like to say (Costs, Profits, Revenue, etc)
  6. Buzz Marketing (its got nothing to do with bees)
  7. And of course Core Competency!!

Anyways, after a meeting with the Placement department today, we were advised that we need to "Talk the talk and Walk the walk" of whatever we aspire to become and not retain any of our old traits (talk like a Techie, etc) since they apparently hold us back in our 'dreams' to reach those dizzying heights in our career! Usually I would have said that this is all crap and go on living my life the way I have been but with the pressure of a 10 lakh loan on my head, I will listen to anything anyone (with some credibility of course!) has to say if that ensures a job and so, I have decided to consciously use at least one jargon in my daily conversation just to make sure I "Talk the talk".

1 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Kapil Mantri said...

"meeting with the Placement department today" - why didn't I hear anything about it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home